The previous post started our series on catching big clients, or “fish”, which will sustain your business over the long run. Today we’re going to take that a step further by exploring how to turn your mind to think like a big fish company and how that can help you plan your approach and find success.
Before you can begin the process of landing big clients, you must make sure your entire team is on board with your approach and vision. There are six keys to realizing big client success. They are:
- First Impression: You must remember you only have one shot to land a big client. If you make a mistake, they aren’t going to consider you again. Never give them a reason to doubt your abilities.
- First Priority: Your potential big fish must always feel like they are your first priority. Show them that you are highly responsive by returning calls and emails immediately, and find solutions to their problems or questions as quickly as possible.
- Flexible: You need to be flexible in your negotiations. If they need a special service or customization of a product, comply for the long-term benefit of their business. A little hassle now could potentially be a substantial pay off down the road.
- Long-term: This goes hand-in-hand with flexibility. As you are approaching and negotiating with big fish clients you need to consider the long-term benefits for your business. If you push for a one-off big score, you are sure to lose their interest and any future business.
- Have Fun: Work should be fun, even when you are trying to land big clients. In fact, this should be the most fun as you are sharing your vision with new people and involving them in your future success and vice versa. People simply work harder in a fun, happy environment. Your passion for your work is contagious and big fish clients will be drawn to your energy.
- Help Them: If you take a little bit of time and offer your clients ways to save money or time by introducing them to potential business partners, they will feel as though you are really invested and interested in the success of their business. Strive to find the balance between your business needs and those of your clients.
There are also a few tactics you can use to bring in a big-company vision to the people on your team. You can:
- Post these six keys for all to see;
- Create a performance-based incentive program;
- Conduct frequent team meetings;
- Use a “right now” policy that dictates any big fish calls be answered immediately;
- Offer awards and/or recognition for big-company ideas and subsequent executions;
- Develop a training and certification program based on the six keys above.
These 6 keys and tips will help you instill a big-company mindset throughout your company, which will help you be more prepared and more likely to land your big fish. Once your entire team is aligned with this thinking, your business will be unstoppable.
Reach out to me today if you need help putting together an incentive program or another way to push your team toward the big-company mindset.